Friday, August 28, 2009

Yard Sale Heaven


OK, last weekend I was in yard sale heaven. I haven't had time to post my good deals until now. I was seriously on a yard-sale high for several hours after we got home. I know, I'm weird! First deal, I got this adorable homemade, never before worn, hand-quilted Christmas apron for .25 cents. Isn't it the cutest?

If that wasn't crazy enough, at the same yard sale, I got enough Christmas tree decorations to create an entirely new themed tree. For those of you who know me well, I love themed trees. I got all of this (French ribbon and blue beads included) for $1. Can you believe that? This stuff looks like it has been used once. Some of it, like the material for the tree skirt, is brand new. At this same yard sale, I got an adorable Strawberry Shortcake pillow for Hailey (now we give the Spiderman pillow she was using back to Josiah), a bag of scrapbooking supplies and sleeves, lots of kid's shoes, a huge set of dominoes and 3 dvds. All of this for $5. I felt guilty that it was all so cheap, so I actually paid her more than she was asking. Crazy, huh?
Went to another yard sale and I got this solid wood desk with a glass top (I can remove the glass if I like) for Josiah's room. I've been looking for the perfect desk to fit in the small space he has available in his room. There are times when he is homeschooling and he likes to be by himself to think (I was the same way when I was in school). With a little sister running around trying to "help" him with everything, this is a blessing. I paid a whopping $3 for this desk and I don't even have to refinish it. Someone gave us a free chair at a different yard sale that I will refinish. It fit this desk perfectly!
OK, for the grand finale! As we were on our way home there was a kid standing by the street with a sign that said "free stuff". We stopped and wow am I glad I did. I got all this stuff for free. I'm going to give some of it to Stacie's kids. But I got a couple of cute shirts, a nice jacket and bib overalls for my nephew Josh, a kid's Harley Davidson motorcycle helmet (not pictured), three pairs of boys size 6 pants in good shape (normally impossible to find) and lots of little girl shoes, and clothes and even a pair of kid's lace-up roper boots.

Talk about a great yard sale day! God blessed us so much. I hate paying full price for things when you can get such good deals at yard sales and have the extra fun of going on a "hunt". I'm hoping we'll get to go tomorrow because yard sale season is going to be ending soon. To all of you yard sale lovers out there, may I say, "Happy hunting!"
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Amy said...

That is AWESOME!!!! You really hit gold!!! I have always wanted to do a themed tree. I can't wait to see how yours turns out this year. That desk is amazing. I have been looking for about a year and just found one for Ryan at Goodwill for $15. He loves it :) Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I love blogging I just have to keep up with it so it doesn't become overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You made quite a haul! LOL! I love that apron and .25 is an unbelievable bargain! The holly leaves on it look like the ones I made for a wreath quilt wall-hanging some years ago! Makes me want to go out and hit the sales. I haven't done that in years! ~Bev~

Connie said...

You certainly were blessed! They were all unbelievable bargains. People around here try to sell for the same price as when they were new, so I quit doing yard sales.

Rachel and Family said...

Amazing!! I got a high just reading about your deals! Seriously. The Christmas stuff especially.
I think this is my most favorite blog post from blogland EVER! Thanks for taking pics and telling prices and everything. LOVE IT!!! Do it again sometime will ya??
PS I like the part about you feeling guilty and paying more! Ha!Ha!Ha! You're such a sweetie!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I can't believe they were giving you all that stuff. I've NEVER had that happen. The shoes are so cute!

Cat said...

What wonderful deals you got! I LOVE a good sale myself. In Bellingham where my youngest sis and mom live they hold a community-wide one in early August call "The Mother of All Yard Sales". It is held in a hockey rink and the proceeds go to a women's shelter.

blessedmomof3 said...

WOW! You picked up a lot of great deals! How fun for sure! I haven't been to a yard sale in years. That apron you got is so cute!

christy rose said...

Wow! Great Job! It is always so much fun to find great stuff at yard sales. I never usually have that great of luck. I seem to only find people's old junk. HAHA Every once in awhile, I find some good deals though. And then it is really fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails