Friday, February 15, 2013

St. Valentine's Day - More Than Flowers and Candy

 Despite my cold, we managed to have a nice Valentine's Day. Josiah made this Valentine tree for us to hang up and put our Valentine's presents under. I've never heard of a Valentine tree, but I guess we started a new tradition this year

. I always use these minor holidays as excuses to give my kids the books, audio CDs and DVDs that they love and that I know will help build their faith. You may wonder why there is a menorah on the table for Valentine's Day. My sweet husband fixed it for me in preparation for Passover. Even though we aren't Jewish, we love celebrating this holiday, too, since everything about it points to the Lamb who was slain (Jesus Christ).
The kids each got a book. The book Josiah is holding is from Voice of the Martyrs and called The Story of Saint Valentine.  We learned some new stuff about St. Valentine. He was actually martyred for going against the Roman Emporer's (Claudius) law forbidding couples to marry. He married couples in secret, adhering to God's law, and he was killed for it, but not before bringing his prison guard to Christ! St. Valentine's Day replaced two Roman feasts honoring pagan gods that were traditionally celebrated on Feb 14th, which was the day St Valentine was martyred for marrying couples secretly. Click here for the link. They also have a wonderful book about Saint Patrick if you are interested. I gave that to my kids on St. Patrick's Day last year.

Josiah wrapped up a dollar and a piece of candy he had bought with his own money for his sister and taped it to the valentine tree. She was thrilled!
 I almost blew it and forgot the cookie grams this year. Luckily, Josiah told me he was on to me about the cookie grams the day BEFORE Valentine's Day. I scrambled and called the church that sells these for a fundraiser and was blessed to get their last two. Whew! I narrowly missed getting the "bad-mom-of-the-year" award, LOL. Nah, my kids would have been disappointed by forgiving ;o) I love seeing their faces as they are being delivered!
Plus, the cookies are so stinkin' good! It is a real treat for us since I don't cook with white flour or sugar. 

Since I still wasn't feeling great, Michael was sweet enough to take the afternoon off work so the kids could go to our local homeschool support group's valentine's party. They had a lot of fun. I was bummed to have missed it. Michael said he was the only male who had gone through puberty there, but he was a good sport about it. 

After the party he took the kids shopping for me and they brought back some gourmet tea, horehound candy and three beautiful roses. Then I sat on the couch and read while they made me a delicious steak dinner. It was the first time Michael made me a steak that didn't taste like shoe leather. He's learnin'! Josiah and Hailey did a great job with the potatoes and salad. It was my favorite part of the day, sitting their reading while they were serving me, especially since I wasn't feeling that great. I could get used to that! I was able to finish the 4th book in the Chronicles of the Kings series by Lynn Austin. Those books are such a great read! This is my second time through and I'm enjoying it even more than the first time.

Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day and now that you know the reason we celebrate Valentine's Day, I hope it becomes a very meaningful holiday for you, too, beside's getting flowers and chocolate. 

God Bless, Jackie

6 comments:

aimee said...

Sorry that you are not feeling well Jackie...hope you are on the road to recovery soon.
I LOVE Valentine Trees...although I make use a small, evergreen one for ours. The books you bought the kids look really interesting...
I've never celebrated Passover at our home but have celebrated it twice at a church before. I think I might ask my hubby if he would be interested in celebrating it this year.
Have a good weekend, feel better...
Blessings, Aimee
PS: Horehound candy...I don't think I have ever heard of that before.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Horehound candy is excellent for soothing the throat. It is an old fashioned candy. I used to suck on it all the time when I was a tour guide for the Pendleton Underground Tours.

Hope you find a Seder meal. We love celebrating Passover. It has become a new tradition in our home.

aimee said...

I will have to research it Jackie...maybe my pioneer forefathers used it and that makes me very, very curious to try it!
I didn't know you had been a tour guide for the Pendleton Underground tours. I love historical sites :-)
I agree and would like to celebrate Passover again...we'll see.
Thanks!
God bless, Aimee

Jill said...

Hope you are feeling better and that's so sweet they took care of you. My husband is good that way too.
Love the cookie idea so sweet. Always a joy visiting your blog! Have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Jill

RaD said...

That's awesome. I'll bet your kids would have been sad if you would have broken tradition. I know mine were sad this year, as we usually go to Build a Bear to get their bears we had made when they were 4 and 3 more clothes. But Build a Bear moved away from us and they both reminded me today we did nothing to start a new tradition. I have to think of something new to do quick! :)

Grandma Becky said...

I heard about St. Valentine when i was at Toastmasters with Phil on Thursday. It was interesting it would be talked about but that is great. I had a good Valentine's day since it was my birthday and I didn't work and had some run around time, visiting my mom and shopping and driving through the country on the way home. I have a nasty cold so I feel your pain, and I have to work tomorrow! Sigh! Get to feeling better and have a good week in spite of it all. :0-

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails