Sunday, October 4, 2009

Basic Broth Recipe



I've started using whole chickens only because not only are they cheaper, you can get so much mileage out of one chicken! I usually do my slow-cooker Garlic Chicken Recipes (see under Labels-->Recipes--dinner) and then I take any leftover meat and save or freeze it for other meals. I used to just toss the carcass and the juices from the chicken, but now I take a few minutes and put together a broth, let it boil simmer a good part of the day and I have have fresh, nutritious broth for my soups that I either use right away or freeze for later use. (You can do this with beef, lamb bones or turkey carcasses, too)

Basic Broth Recipe:
*carcass of one chicken (approx. 2 lbs)
*2 quarts water
*1 Tbl vinegar (I use apple cider)
*2 small onions, quartered
*1 cup coarsely chopped celery with leaves
*1/2 cup sliced carrots
2 tsp fresh chopped parsley or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
3 garlic cloves (pressed or chopped)

In a 5 quart Dutch oven, bring juices from slow-cooked chicken and the carcass and water to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 4 hours (skim off any scum that rises to the surface). Strain broth. Pick out any additional meat you can see for later uses and toss the rest.

8 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thanks, Jack. I'm excited to try that beef broth you showed me how to make the other day.

Also, I love to use whole chickens. For our family of 8, I can usually get two to three meals out of one chicken. My kids LOVE it!

motherofmany said...

I have a chicken in the crock pot right now, cooking on low all night to make broth for tomorrow. I use salt and a little lemon juice or vinegar when I make broth because I read somewhere that it helps bring the minerals out of the bone marrow. Wish I could remember where I read that.

When I get a headache, I found the broth to be more bneneficial than any pills. There's a lot of truth to the whole chicken soup as medicine thing!

PS- I am teaching a class and in 3 weeks we will be making cheese and butter. I plan to make pottage then, so while I have the recipe out, I'll see if it is similar to your fresco blanco. Let you know!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Motherofmany,
I saw a broth recipe in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook and it had vinegar in it. I was wondering why. That must be it. Yes, some vinegar added to this recipe would probably still taste fine.

Yes, broth is amazing medicine. I always try to have some on hand in case any of us get sick.

Let me know on the pottage cheese. Good for you for teaching others about making their own raw dairy products. Lets get the word out!

God Bless, Jackie

Connie said...

Yes, I think vinegar is suppose to release some of the calcium out of the bones ...

I should do this more often. Thanks for the reminder.

alexis said...

Your slow-cooker garlic chicken recipe souds fantastic--can't wait to try it!

Catherine said...

I've been doing this for years because that's what my mom always did. So, I'm ahead of the game. I usually let the broth cool in the spare frig, lift the fat off, and save the broth in the freezer, or for turkey there is so much I just can it. Last year I got 7 quarts!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for the reminder on the vinegar, ladies. I just added it into the recipe. Happy cooking everyone!

Brenda said...

I am trying this recipe right now! I roasted a chicken the other night and now I am going to make a big batch of broth - hope to turn it into Kricket's Tortilla Soup later on today! Thanks for sharing this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails