Friday, May 10, 2013

Homeschool Arts and Letters Program 2013: Magician, Musician and Poet

This was our fourth annual Arts and Letters Program. Is is an opportunity for homeschoolers to show off what they've been learning through projects, talents, recitations, etc.... to friends, relatives and our homeschool support group. It just gets better every year and the kids draw inspiration from each other.  This year, I let my kids choose what they wanted to do themselves. Josiah decided he wanted to be a magician since I had bought him a children's book of magic tricks at a yard sale a couple of weeks before the program. He came up with this all on his own. After watching the video, he realized he needed to work on his entrance and exit, but other than that, I thought he did really good. I didn't not help him at all with this, although I think he might have received a few tips from his Grandma Kricket right before his little show. He even came up with his costume himself.


Hailey recited a funny short poem called Grungy Grace by Jack Perlutsky. For some reason I can't get it to embed, so I'm just adding the link. Click here to watch this very short, cute video of Hailey:

Since her poem was so short, she also played Hot Cross Buns on the fiddle. Again, click the link to see that short video. I'm so proud of her! She even got to wear the pretty dress that her Aunt Abby and Uncle Nathan gave her for Christmas. 

Here are a couple other favorite performances.  Two families had their kids dress up in Colonial clothes and play "Yankee Doodle". It was adorable.

Josiah's friend, Kelton, made an "Indian Fire Bow" and demonstrated how it worked WITHOUT actually setting anything on fire. 

Kelton's sisters tap danced and sang, "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off". They did a great job!

One family did a presentation about all the presidents who had been assassinated. I love that my Civil War outfit was used. She looks way cuter in it than I do. What a beauty! I love the beard my friend, Christine, knitted for her son, President Lincoln. She also knitted the hat on his brother. Josiah borrowed that same hat for his act.

At the end of their presentation, they did a little skit, reenacting Lincoln's assassination.

 Not pictured are a lot of fun verbal presentations, teen testimonies, recitations of poems, scripture and even the books of the Bible.
 At the back of the room, we always have tables set up for those who want to display arts, crafts or presentations. Some like this option as they are uncomfortable speaking in front of a large group. It is always fun to see what people come up with. This was our table. I decided to show some projects we did and some of the curriculum we used throughout the year for the Prairie Primer unit study. Josiah made a picture dictionary. also pictured are paper quilt blocks and button bracelets and practice stitching. Josiah even displayed one of his Lego creations.

Another homeschool student showed off a display board about growing plants in water. I love to see what other homeschoolers are doing. 

Afterwards, we always have a wonderful time of fellowship, eating finger foods and catching up. A big thanks to my home church, Calvary Chapel, for letting use their building, and a huge thanks to all those who helped make the evening possible through set up, take down, programs, etc... Looking forward to next year!

God Bless,
Jackie

3 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Looks like a wonderful time was had by all! Loved watching the videos!

Anonymous said...

Fun! I lost your email in my computer crash but wanted to let you know I'm still following your blog and will miss you at the reunion this summer. Also.... we're homeschooling next year. yikes! :)

~Tamra

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Tamra! Great to hear from you again. I will miss you at the reunion this summer, too. I'm so excited that you are homeschooling next year!!! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Hugs :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails