Sunday, January 11, 2015

Christmas on the Homestead: December 2014 Recap

I know December is gone, but for our own family's posterity's sake, I thought I'd go ahead and blog about it since I actually had the time because we had to stay home from church due to a sick kidlet. We had a wonderful December complete with many fun traditions. I let the kids do all the decorating by themselves, with exception of the tree (although I did let them help). Since this was the last Christmas we will have for quite a while without a little one in the house, I thought I do my very breakable "Thomas Kincade" themed tree. I enjoyed it so much and deemed it my favorite tree to date.  

I was also blessed to be able to go to a couple of MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) craft nights and even half a meeting in the month of December. We made these super cute ornaments out of old dictionary pages and some dry snow globes. I look forward to getting to know more of these wonderful ladies in the future :) I still can't get over the fact that I qualify to go to MOPS again!

 One of our favorite new traditions we added to the December docket is caroling with the local homeschool group to three of the nursing homes. It brings such joy to the residents. The kids recognized this sweet man whom they connected with last year. He didn't remember them, but he gave them the same warm smile and hugs as last year. So precious! I sing with a gospel group and we are going to start singing at a nearby assisted living home in January and Feb, when things are the quietest and they could really use some joy in their lives. I can't wait!
 We celebrated Larry Pop's birthday with "made from scratch" vanilla cupcakes with homemade lemon curd filling and frosting, courtesy of Hailey. The kids had a lot of fun making them and it blessed Larry Pop immensely. Fun to live so close to Mom and Larry so we can more easily celebrate these milestones together.
 We even got to go to a community contra dance that night and danced the night away with old friends.
We had lots of company during the Christmas Break. Dad and Diana managed to slip away from the ranch for a day of fun. The kids got to open their presents (Diana made this cute hat for Hailey) from them and we even got to watch my nephew's basketball game together. We had a great time. 

 Christmas morning was spent at our house opening gifts and eating Brie, Bacon and Roasted Garlic on Toast. My Aunt Deb and cousin, Nathan were able to stay with my mom for a few days, so it was fun catching up with them. Hailey was thrilled to get all things "Frozen"!
 Josiah loves Jonathan Park Adventures (CD Creation-based adventure stories) and was happy to get the next series.
 All I wanted was for my badly torn retro kitchen chairs to be reupholstered. Michael taught himself how to do it and managed to get them done just in time for Christmas. I absolutely love them and they still look retro and even though they are now blue, they still go with my retro table. Very comfy, too! So happy he did that for me! I didn't manage to get a picture of it, but I got Michael a good used planar so he can start a wood floor made of pallets this spring. Want to get all the nasty carpet out of the house before the baby gets here.
 A friend of ours gave Josiah a metal detector and he's been having a great time with it.
 Auntie April got Josiah this very appropriate T-shirt. So him!
Last but not least, we made sure we went to the Living Nativity put together by a whole bunch of churches in our town. It is very well done and tells the entire gospel story. Keeping Jesus at the center of our holiday celebrations is very important to us. We are so grateful for His birth, life and ministry, ultimate sacrifice and then resurrection so that we can all have eternal life if we believe. Praise Him, praise our wonderful Savior, Messiah, King of Kings and Lord of Lords! 

My sister and her six kiddos came up during the week of New Years and we had great time. So busy, that I didn't have time to take pictures. We had a cold snap, so we spent a lot of time huddled around the fireplace together. It was so fun though and more memories were made on Mission Road Homestead. The weather has warmed up a bit, so we are now comfortable and toasty warm in our vintage trailer. Now if this inversion would only lift! 

Our family wishes you the best possible 2015! May we each keep growing in the Lord, seeking His will for our lives despite the mad world swirling around us. 

God Bless,
Jackie  

4 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Amen, praise the Lord! :)
Love the redo on your vintage chairs. They look great.
Are the china ornaments on the tree Scottish? Just wondering because I have a bunch of similar ones that have Irish blessings on them, and they're all I've ever seen like them.
Have a wonderful week!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'll pass your compliments onto my hubby :) No, the ornaments are special edition Thomas Kincade. They each have a different "winter house" painting on them with a sleigh and two tiny riders on the top. They are very delicate, but I love them so. My grandparents bought them for me, giving me four at a time for my Christmas Present for three years in row. I have twelve of them. You have a wonderful week, too!

magnoliasntea said...

Thank you for the reply on those pretty ornaments - I love Thomas Kinkade artwork. Yours are just so much like my Irish ones, but mine are a rounder shape and from the Bradford Exchange. I'm thinking about hanging mine (all 18, lol) around the house in March for St. Patrick's Day.

Camille said...

What fun to peek into your Christmas celebrations my friend. Everything looks/sounds wonderful. What a blessing you have family and friends to celebrate with. Your tree is so pretty and your children are beautiful. (Don't tell Josiah I said that...LOL!) Hugs, Camille

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails