Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Perfect, Soft and Chewy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've been trying to make the perfect, healthy whole wheat chocolate chip cookie for years. I find that they often fall apart and can dry out, especially by the next day. I finally figured it out thanks to the new bonMat I received at a bonCook party. The silicone mat actually crystallizes the sugar so that it doesn't fall apart. Amazing!

You would never know that these cookies are healthier than your average chocolate chip cookie. They are made with whole wheat pastry flour, purely butter for the fat and an unrefined sugar called "sucanat". Do not use regular whole wheat flour! I typically use organic dark chocolate or white chocolate chips and, being part squirrel, I always add nuts. After creaming the butter and sucanat together, I just turn on my Kitchen Aid onto the "Stir" setting and start dumping. Wet ingredients first, then dry. The cookies in these pictures are actually white chocolate macadamia nut. Same recipe!

Healthy, Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter (softened but not melted)
2 cups sucanat (or brown sugar)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (any kind you like)
1 cup nuts or seeds (any kind)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream softened (not melted) butter and sucanat together until somewhat light and fluffy. Set Kitchen Aid to "Stir" and add remaining ingredients in the order they are listed. Put about 2 Tbl of dough in rows on a silicone baking mat such as the bonMat that I used. I have two, so this goes really fast. I was able to get 3 cookie sheets filled with this recipe. Cook in middle rack of oven for 8 minutes or until just tops are just slightly done. Remove from oven and let sit on mat 5 minutes, then move cookies to cooling rack. 

Yields approx 60 small cookies.


My dear friend, Melinda, mailed me several bonCook pieces after our house fire to help replace what I had lost. If your interest has been piqued about this amazing product, check out her website at melindahassinger.boncook.com. I absolutely love this bakeware!

Enjoy!

God Bless,
Jackie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails