Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sticky Handprint Nostalgia

I was sitting on the couch yesterday, snuggling with my daughter who woke up grumpy. I looked over and saw a perfect hand print on the gun safe that Josiah had just cleaned a couple days ago. I bet you are thinking, "What is a gun safe doing in a living room"? I know interesting decor, but it was that or animal heads in the living room. I opted for the gun safe.
Anyway, at first I did the mom sigh of frustration, but as I continued to stare at the tiny hand print, God started changing my heart. I began to wonder how I could preserve that sweet little hand print and never clean that spot on the gun safe again so that I could look at it after my kids are grown and out of the house and remember these sweet memories of when they were young. While I know it really isn't possible to do that, God helped me put things in perspective that morning and appreciate my kids even more. Yes, even when they make yet another mess I have to clean up or change another diaper. I know someday I'm really going to miss these days when they are little and still want to snuggle up to me when they wake up grumpy.

6 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That makes me want to cry. Thank you for sharing that. I need to appreciate that kind of stuff more, too. It is short, it just doesn't feel like it when you are actually in the trenches.

Brenda said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing! :}

Jessica said...

Thanks for stopping by. I just met your sister online, she came to my blog via "Gathering Lilies". Nice to meet you! Oh, I totally love those days where we're stopped in our tracks from the cleaning and the diaper changing to really appreciate those sticky hand prints! Our toddler recently left a greasy hand print on our bedroom wall, and I laugh and shake my head every time I walk in/out of the room!

Robin said...

You reminded me of a friends decorating idea several years ago.

To celebrate the birth of their son, she invited over people that she loves, and Mike and I were included (this was before we had kids) and everyone got to paint their hands (feet too, if they could stand it) and make colorful prints all over one wall of the baby's room.

It was a blast, and it was a visual reminder of how many people were supporting them.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Robin,
That is such a great idea! I love it. Thanks for sharing that one.

Freckles and Frogs said...

That is such a sweet post! I LOVE it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails