Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nearly Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe

I found another recipe from Camille's blog www.flowersinhisgarden.blogspot.com that I decided to try. I put a healthy spin on it and it still turned out yummy. Normally I can't stand chocolate cake, but since this was more like a custard, I loved it! Here's the recipe:

Nearly Flourless Chocolate Cake:

2 squares unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
3/4 cup butter
1 & 1/4 cup sucanat
5 large eggs
1 Tbl whole wheat pastry flour

Preheat oven 375 F. Line bottom of 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper and butter the sides. Using a wire whisk, melt chocolate and butter in a pan on the stove over very low heat. Stir in sucanat and mix until smooth. Let mixture cool for 5 minutes, then add eggs, stirring them in one at a time. Add the flour and mix well. Pour batter into springform pan and bake 25 minutes or until center of the cake is barely set. Let cool 15 minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake from springform pan. Flip cake upside down onto a piece of parchment paper on a plate. Carefully remove the other piece of parchment paper that was on the bottom of the pan that is now on the top of the cake.

Serve with raspberry sauce and fresh whipped cream sweetened with honey.

Raspberry Sauce:
1 cup raspberries
1 tsp tapioca flour (instead of cornstarch)
honey to taste

Mix raspberries, tapioca flour and honey (fresh or frozen) in a small pan. Stir over medium heat until sauce coats spoon. If too thick, add more raspberries. If too thin, add more tapioca flour, mixed in a little cold water, then reheat sauce until thick.

To serve:
Spread sauce on cake. Add whipped cream on individual servings.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Camille said...

Hi Jackie ~ Thanks once again for giving a link back to me! :) WOW!! Your dessert looks every bit as decadent as mine...and without the guilt? ;-) Well...maybe less guilt! Why do you not use corn starch? Didn't know it was bad for you...or is it ok??

Blessings,
Camille

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I can almost smell a rich chocolate aroma oozing from the monitor. MMMMmmmm!!! Hi, my name is Nezzy and I AM a chocoholic.

I wanted to thank you for poppin' in an hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya enjoy the ride.

In the words of Granny Clampett, "Ya'll come back now, ya hear!!!

May God bless your day....

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I might try this tomorrow, when we go to Paul and Rachel's.

christy rose said...

I love chocolate and raspberries together! YUM! YUM!!!

Connie said...

The raspberry sauce makes it beautiful!

alexis said...

That looks so good! I might try to make this if I have some time later...maybe with cherries:) thanks for the recipe!

sarah in the woods said...

This sounds delicious! One question - what brand of tapioca flour do you use? I was using EnerG and had no problem. The tapioca was pretty much flavorless and odorless like cornstarch. I just bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill, and it was so nasty that it ruined my biscuits. It smelled like Flintstone's vitamins really strong. I don't know if it was a bad bag or what.
Anyway, I had my first cheesemaking session and posted about it. Wondered if you had any pointers. Thanks.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Camille,
So glad you are happy with the healthier version. It really was delicious! I don't use corn starch because it is really hard for our bodies to digest. Corn starch is highly processed. In small quantities, I don't think it is too bad for you, but larger quantities can help contribute to diabetes and other health problems. Corn syrup is largely made of corn starch and is also harder for your body to digest than natural, unrefined sugars. Hope that helps!

Sarah,
I also use EnerG tapioca flour. I really like it, also I use arrowroot powder in my ice cream, which works really good. I'll have to check out your cheese post. Thanks for stoppin' by!

Everyone Else,
Thanks for your sweet comments, hope you try this recipe out. If you do, let me know how you liked it.

Tina said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

COUNTRY MOM said...

Jackie, Thanks for the recipe and sharing your fav with me. I love Garlic too. Have a great Friday. Blessings, Audrey

Camille said...

Hi Jackie ~ Thanks for answering...I didn't know that about corn starch...good to know! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails