Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Up and Runnin' Again

Well, I got my computer back (very quickly, I might add). Apparently I had several viruses, one of which attacked my anti-virus program and disabled it (wow, that was worth the $70 annual subcription). Luckily it didn't do any damage. I'm enjoying having a fast computer again - "The better to blog with, my dear". Apparently this virus is contagious because I caught a cold last week. Luckily it didn't stick around long. Now, I'm just doing all the natural remedies to prevent a sinus infection, so far, so good.

I thought I'd catch you all up on our whirlwind weekend. I wish I could show you pictures, but I accidently deleted them off my camera, there-by learning this important lesson: never try to download pictures while trying to referee an argument between a couple of kids :-(

My sweet sis was kind enough to let us drop off our kids while I went to an Oregon Society of Soil Scientists conference on the other side of the state. Michael was able to take time off work and go with me, which was wonderful because it was at a beautiful place called Edgefield Manor - (click here for pictures). We love this place! We had the best room with the best view in the entire place (I think it must have been the honeymoon suite). It was huge. It used to be the county's poor farm, then it was a nursing home. They fixed it all up, put whimsical art-work everywhere, and made it into a fabulous micro-brew, winery and now distillery. They had the most beautiful soaker pool, too. I had a great time seeing all the soil scientists that I've known through the years, plus meeting some new ones. I realized, I'm now an old-timer. When I first started going to these conferences 10+ years ago, I was one of a small handful of women soil scientists, and I was by far the youngest one there. Now, probably half the meetings are made up of women and I'm NOT the youngest one ;P

After the meetings, Michael dropped me off at my sis' and drove back to the Portland area for his first drill in his new battalion. I got to spend the weekend my sister. I was able to help her with my nephew, Jacob's, third birthday. Click on here (Stacie's blog) for details and pictures. Jacob was absolutely adorable in his Buzz Light Year wing pack. He was Buzz. He wouldn't even take them off to eat. We'd just fold his wings back so he didn't poke anyone. It was so cute! I also got to see some of my immediate family, which is always a blessing.

Michael picked us up after his drill on Sunday and we got home very late. We brought my nephew, Marcus, home with us since Stacie is coming up to visit me this coming weekend. It is wonderful to have some time with him. The kids are having fun together (mostly), and it is good for them to learn from each other.

I've had a lot of people ask me how to make raw butter, buttermilk and sour cream, so I'm planning on doing a series of posts on those next. Stay tuned! I'm so far behind on my blogging - yikes :-/. Thanks for all your sweet comments. Keep 'em coming! I promise I will visit all your blogs as soon as I get a chance. I've got them saved in my email so I don't forget anyone.

Have an awesome week!

Love and Blessings,
Jackie

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

First of all, I missed your posts..

secondly.. that Inn is 'Vonderbar'.. if I were closer a mini vacation would be in order..

lastly.. I love home made butter and buttermilk. Miss it a lot, no farmer's around here besides goats and their milk is sold off to cheese makers.

I remember using a glass mayo jar and shaking for 30 minutes and once drained we added salt and molded into pretty shapes. Only the best on pancakes and made fish just melt. Oh well, that was 12 years ago since I've last had some. Love to have it once again.

with love,
Olivia

Andrea said...

Glad you got your computer fixed..yikes on the virus's.
Blessings, andrea

RaD said...

Welcome back, I'm finally back in bloggy world too after our computer crashed. It was overloaded. Bet ya can't guess what it was overloaded with. Okay, okay I know you can. I'll be watching for the next new post!

He & Me + 3 said...

Glad your computer is fixed. I hope you feel better soon too. Tis the season for viruses. WE are doing natural remedies for Actress' cold too.

Mich said...

Glad your back!

Brenda said...

I was thinking about you guys last week and wishing I was at the OSSS meetings. The Gorge tour sounded like so much fun! How was 'Dirt'? I am signed up to watch a free screening next month - can't wait!

Glad to hear you had such a nice time at Edgefield - it is so pretty out there! :)

Camille said...

We've missed you, but do understand the "why" behind the absence. :)

What a busy time you have been having! WOW...lots going on in your part of the world. How fun that you got to spend that time with Stacie ~ God's blessing to you both I am sure. I bet your little man is so happy to have his cousin at your house...fun times!

Love,
Camille

Angela said...

To infinity and beyond..oh wait,,I mean to your sister's blog,,LOL..

Glad your back..((hugs))

Catherine said...

Having grown up near the place you call "Edgefield" I recall it before it was a trendy place. (I guess I just HAD to say that!) I'm glad you had time away from kids with hubby and others who know the soil! I've missed you and am glad you are back!

Sarah said...

Welcome back Jackie! You definitely have been missed! Also glad that you managed to have your computer mended! Its good to have you back!

God Bless

christy rose said...

I am so glad that you got your computer back and up and running again. Isn't it wonderful how fast a computer moves when it is feeling well. :)

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Good to see you and the kids this weekend. Funny how many times Hailey wanted me to pick her up.

Also funny the whole portraits for cell phones at the party. That was priceless!

Connie said...

So glad you are up and running again. These viruses are so frustrating.

I grew up on homemade butter - nothing like it.

Anonymous said...

Hello I was just telling my husband that it is fun to comment on your posts even though I do not know you.You always answer any questions and it just seems as though you could be a friend if we were to meet in person.Your kids red hair is adorable.I would love to be blessed with a redhead someday.:)I commented back in January about your little one playing her fiddle and that is what I hope to get our little guy for his third birthday.:)

Mary said...

Glad you got your computer back!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments everyone. I'm sure feelin' the love!

Anonymous,
I'm so glad you continue to visit and leave comments. There are so many of you out there I just know I would be great friends with in the "real world", too ;)

Love and Blessings to you all,
Jackie

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That sounds like a mean virus! Yikes! I knew something was up.

Love you Sis and thanks for your support and prayers as always.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails