With the kids gone last week, we got so much done on our remodel. It was dangerous work and I'm so grateful to the grandparents (Michael's parents and my mom and step-dad) for taking the kids for the entire week so we could get all the demolition work done on the house. Michael and I came away with a few bruises and slivers, but other than that, we did pretty well. We spent Saturday morning rearranging all of our furniture to the other rooms of the house for the next month or two as we work on that side of the house. Here is the view of our front porch after we demolished the exterior walls. The new wood floor is where our addition is going. Both these walls are gone now, including the door (I'll post more on the interior demolition later).Here is a picture of the new framing. As you can see, we now have a much smaller enclosed porch. The rest of the porch is now the office/homeschool room, which is part of the open "L" shaped living area. We're getting 3 new windows and two doors. We decided on a fiberglass door going into the house and a glass storm going into the porch.
Here is a picture of the interior of the addition just after we busted out the inside walls. This open window came in handy as we tossed all the debris out of it.
We finally have some heat again. We were without heat for 2 days and electricity part of the time as Michael worked on the wiring. At first Josiah was upset when he came home to see his house all torn apart, without an heat, but we just encouraged him to see it all as an adventure. I know it looks like a lot of work and expense for just a little bit of room, but this 75 sq feet really makes a difference in the living area. It is exciting to have everything so open with lots of light coming in.
I'm sorry I've been a bad blogger, just so busy working on all this. I'll try to catch up with all your blogs when I can.