Friday, July 1, 2011

Healthy German Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

This recipe has moved into my top 5 cookie recipes of all time! It is one of the healthier cookies that I make, but trust me, it doesn't taste healthy. That's the way I like it ;o) My son, Josiah, won a blue ribbon for these cookies at the county fair!

Healthy German Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sucanat
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp Celtic sea salt (optional)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 c flax seed meal
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup organic chocolate chips
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix first six ingredients together well (I use my Kitchen Aid). Then add the next four ingredients and until mixed well. Then add the next 3 ingredients and until mixed well. The dough should be fairly thick. Drop the dough by small spoonfuls, two inches apart. If you want to make these fancy, you can sprinkle tops with more coconut and pecans before baking. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are just starting to crinkle and crack. Remove from oven and let set 1 minute, then remove the cookies to cooling racks.    

Note: You can omit the flax seed meal, but I found that when I used it, the cookies held together better (for days afterward). Usually whole wheat cookies fall apart by the next day. I'm going to start adding some flax seed meal to all my whole wheat cookie recipe and see if they will hold up better. 

Enjoy! 

From My Kitchen to Yours,

Jackie

10 comments:

Camille said...

Oh YUM!!! Thank you for sharing Jackie! I will have to give these a try. Yippee for healthy AND yummy!! The only way to fly. :)

Many blessings,
Camille

P.S. My most recent post is NOT in the *healthy for you* category...but yummy, yes, yummy. ;-)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

It looks super yummy. I'd have to try to convert it to gluten free. I'm getting pretty good at doing that.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Kim

Catherine said...

It DOES look like a good cookie, Jackie; how many cookies does this recipe make?

Lisa said...

Oh boy do those cookies ever look like winners! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link up your cookies. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-23.html

Aritha V. said...

O, thanks. a great recipe from cookies out my neighbour-land.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Catherine,

It makes about 2 dozen cookies. You'll love these!

RaD said...

Not to mention that the flaxseed adds some great nutrients too!

Those cookies look yummy!

Melanie Giant said...

I am interested with the recipe since ti say "healty" german cookie. I can't wait to share this with my grandmom.She really needs healthy snacks and this one will be perfect for her.

Red Rose said...

They look so yummy...can't wait to try them... They have a lot of new ingredients that boost the regular cookie's healthyness...

Piano Kid said...

Since I’m into a healthy diet, your German chocolate chip is worth a try. The recipe is also interesting as there are some ingredients that I do not normally encounter like the flax seeds.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails