Thursday, July 7, 2011

Renewed Passion - Creation Ministries

I've never given my testimony on the topic of Creationism before. I'm praying that even if you don't agree with me, you can read this post with an open mind. This is a topic near and dear to my heart as I was a former Evolution Theist but now I'm a full-blown Creationist. 

Ever since I was very young I've always been interested in knowing how the world around me was ordered. Unfortunately, being a product of the public school system, I graduated from high school completely doubting the validity of the Word of God. I was a baby Christian with very little understanding of what the bible really said. I got good at picking and choosing parts of the Bible as to what I wanted to believe, especially when I went off to college. I definitely didn't want to be different from what other scientist believed, so I subscribed to the "no I haven't evolved from a monkey, but I believe a year in the bible could be any length of time"  I totally took the "year is like a thousands years" verse from 2 Peter 3:8 completely out of context and used it to justify my stance of being a Christian, yet still believing in Evolution. 

I became a soil scientist and worked in the secular world doing soil mapping for about 5 years before my world was rocked by a woman at a women's retreat who had enough guts to challenge me on my thinking. She patiently listened to all my excuses for why I believed in evolution, but then she simply asked me to research Creationism myself before I made up my mind. I got home and my sister, who was just starting to homeschool, gave me a couple of books, and I was scared to death to open them, because I knew I would never fit into the secular science world again. 

When I started researching Creationism, I was overwhelmed by the fact that Evolution is just as much a religion as Christianity or any other religion. Having been a soil scientist for a few years then, I had begun to see how subjective science was and realized how much of science was based on opinion. I think that is what I liked about Creationism the most is that it was so simple. It was so easy to take apart the theory of Evolution with real science. The kind of science where things that have been tested over time and proven to be true over and over. Anyway, I could go on and on, but my point is that I felt really jipped. I didn't understand why I hadn't ever been exposed to this theory. I found out later it is because 98% of churches in this country don't teach a literal 6-day Creation or of a fairly recent global flood. No wonder I hadn't ever been exposed to it! 

I've done some research over the years and studied many different Creationist's teachings. While they can differ in some of the more subjective issues that aren't clearly taught in the bible, they all agree on a literal 6 day Creation, and a global flood as well as many other points. When I finally understood that the bible really was true, front to back, it kicked my faith into gear and sent my spiritual life into over-drive! I've never be the same. I don't care if people call me crazy because I believe there were dinosaurs on the ark. Soon they will know the Truth when "every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord". God is proving himself as year after year, new archaeological and scientific evidence is coming to light.

Our community was recently blessed to have Creation Scientist Russ Miller visit us. We managed to go to three of his sessions. It sparked not only a renewed passion in me for this topic, but also in my son, Josiah. He is a lot like me, very scientifically minded. He is 7 years old and he wants to go to a college that teaches Creation. Sadly there are only 6 colleges in the country that do. I could totally see Josiah doing what Russ Miller is doing someday. The kid is great at public speaking and extremely passionate. I think he'd make a great Creation scientist! Maybe his mom could be his side-kick, LOL ;o)

One thing I really appreciated about Russ Miller was the fact that he kept to the main point. He didn't get sidetracked with things that can't be proved scientifically or biblically. He recognized where we need faith but also points out where Evolutionists need a great amount of faith, too, to believe the things they've been taught. I'd love for you to visit his website, www.CreationMinistries.org . He does rafting trips in the Grand Canyon, showing evidence of a global flood as well as other field trips. Our family is hoping to go on one of these trips in the future. 

If you have never even heard of a different theory of the earth's origin other than Evolution, I hope you will be brave enough to check out this video on YouTube. It is the 50 Facts vs Darwinism video by Russ Miller. Please pray your heart will be open if these are new concepts to you. I understand that it is hard to have an open mind to these things if you've never head them before, but we seriously have to decide whether the bible is true or not. If one part of it isn't true, than it is all worthless. Personally, I'm siding with Truth! My prayer is that the Church will wake up to this issue and start taking it seriously. That we will hunger and thirst for the true, undiluted Word of God! I hope that is your prayer, too. 



I bought his DVD series, which are not copy-righted. If you are looking for a good arm-chair ministry, you can buy these at his website www.creationministries.org and copy them for friends and family who would be open to watching them. You can also learn how to help get the word out. Look for him on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CreationMin.  I had a good friend who was a "scoffer". I encouraged her to come to one of his sessions when he was in town and her world-view was completely changed. Her heart was open and her spirit was receptive. It was a precious thing to see! 

There are many different books out there by Ken Ham, too. The picture above shows several books I bought from Ken Miller's table. My kids absolutely love the "D is for Dinosaur" and "A is for Adam" children's books. I liked what Russ Miller had to say about teaching kids bible stories. He said, don't just teach kids bible stories, show them the scientific proof behind those stories! I've been noticing lately how many publishers are watering down and even flat-out changing the bible stories to make them more "kid-friendly". Not cool!

As Christians, we should not be afraid of this topic. We should be actively teaching our children the truth and reliability of God's Word, no matter how you chose to school your children. I believe when Christians can know and understand these truths, that it will help plant the seeds of the huge revival that is prophesied to take place before Jesus returns. Let us be mighty warriors for Jesus and live out his Word in our lives. 

"Lord, let your Word be alive and active in your Church! Do a good work in us, please! Don't stop until your purposes are fulfilled on this earth. Break us, mold us, use us, holy Heavenly Father! Let us never be tempted to water-down your Word to fit what the world is teaching. In your precious Son's name, Amen."

God Bless, 
Jackie

11 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I pray that your testimony will touch people's lives and that they will examine for themselves the evidence of Creationism. I'm so proud of you! Thank you for being bold enough to share this. I know this was not an easy post for you to write.

Proud to call you Sis and Friend!

Stacie

Sarah said...

Wow! Jackie, I LOVED this post! It was wonderful to read your testimony on the topic of creation! Our family loves to learn about the literal creation the Bible teaches!

Thank you for speaking out and being such a sweet encourager!

Leslie said...

Add me to the list of those who believed in the Bible, but also put stock into the theory of the earth being billions of years old. In some ways it doesn't seem like it matters one way or the other, but then really, if we can't take the Bible as the true and accurate word of God, then where are we? I'm so thankful that God opened my eyes and that I can now teach my children this truth.

Oh, and we just watched a really good movie that you might be interested in, "Dragons or Dinosaurs: Creation or Evolution". I'm not sure if you have Netflix, but if you do, they have it available for instant watching. The kids and I all loved it. We plan on watching the "Creatures That Defy Evolution" series next.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing your heart! This is a wonderful post. Kudoos!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Leslie,
I do have instant watch and will definitely check that movie out. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I hated school and didn't pay much attention in science class.

Thanks for the links. It is something I definitely want to look into for homeschooling. ;)

His bondservant said...

All I can say is Amen and Amen! Great post Jackie! We love to study science from God's perspective...creationism!

In Him,
Jackie

Catherine said...

Go, Jackie! The courage to step up and do what we are called to do is sometimes missing...not here!!

Unknown said...

YES! AMEN, Jackie!!!!

Susan said...

Great post Jackie! Part of the reason so many people think Christians are hypocrites is because so many of us don't believe what the Bible says. I believe whole-heartedly in Creation. But many schools of "divinity" teach evolution. I have a cousin who is a Methodist preacher and that's what he was taught when he went to divinity college. Still believes it today AND makes sure to let you know that you are ignorant if you believe anything other than evolution. REally sad...

Blessings!
Susan

Camille said...

Amen Jackie! How wonderful that the LORD has shown you these things! It is HIS Truth after all...and HE is the ONE Who opens our eyes to it! You are right...evolution is a religion...very, very sad that so many believe it without any thought for God. It just shows how powerful it is to take young minds and indoctrinate them to think whatever it is decided is *best*. I'm so glad you are standing firm on the Bible...it is TRUTH and we must embrace it all...not just bits and pieces of it. I think you have honoured the LORD through this post my friend. :)

Many blessings to you!
Camille

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails