Sunday, November 23, 2008

Successful Hunt


Michael was successful while hunting with his black powder .54 cal this weekend. He didn't see anything for quite awhile and was running out of time, so he got a doe yesterday. He was disappointed because it wasn't a buck, but I was happy because the meat will be so much better. We are planning on making summer sausage and jerky out of most of it.
We all went hunting with Michael Friday afternoon. Didn't see anything, but we got to do some target shooting with my Uncle Fred's WWII .30 carbine (his dad carried it in WWII). It was designed for paratroopers, so the stock folds in. It was really fun to shoot. Didn't really kick, which was nice. It is the first time Michael took it out to shoot since he cleaned it up. It was amazing to shoot a piece of American history.

Since it didn't kick, even Josiah got to shoot a couple of rounds (very much supervised).






Michael is having a great time here. He loves this gun!

3 comments:

blessedmomof3 said...

My hubby's dad goes hunting a lot. Doesn't always get something, but he hunts either deer or kangaroo. I remember once my MIL walking around with a kangaroo tail after they skinned it and got the meat off, and I just thought that was so gross! LOL! My boys were quite intrigued about it. It's good to get a deer or whatever, and stock up on the meat for the winter season. Meat prices are so crazy anymore.

Andrea

blessedmomof3 said...

Cougar? I can't imagine eating that at all. Kangaroo is different - the weird factor definitely kicks in. I wouldn't go out of my way to have any.

The only other weird thing I almost had was Morten Bay Bugs. Hubby and I were invited to a fancy restaurant once, and everyone said how good it was. When they brought me my plate, there was no way I was going to eat it. Morten Bay Bugs are like small crayfish I think. I just remember the long skinny legs, and they were drizzled with chocolate. Ewwww! Hubby was kind and let me have what he was eating, and he ate the bugs. he didn't really like it. HAHA! A lot of people really like them though.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Looks like so much fun! I can't believe that thing doesn't kick. Maybe he'll take out the boys and I and we can shoot it one day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails