Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Eve

We have a few Christmas Eve traditions we look forward to every year. We let the kids open their presents from their Aunt and Uncle. Josiah got a light saber and Hailey got a Fairy ensemble. She's my fiddlin' fairy in this picture. That is an 1/8 size fiddle. It is so cute!

Michael loaded us all in the pick-up and we went into the woods to do a little target practicing. This is his love language! The kids got to shoot the 22. I even helped Josiah shoot the 45 black powder pistol.

This was Hailey's first time shooting a real gun (with help of course), she really liked it. It was so cold! We didn't stay too long.

This is our view coming down Fox Hill Rd, or should I say, sliding down? I was so scared! Michael knew what he was doing, but I was still scared. This is a very steep road. The view of the valley was incredible though.

When we got home, we continued our traditions and ate soup, then drove around and looked at Christmas lights. After that, I tried to make hot buttered rums (Josiah used to call them hot buttered runs - of course we don't actually put rum in it for the kids), but I accidentally grabbed the cultured buttermilk jar, thinking I was reaching for fresh milk. I couldn't figure out why, after heating, my milk turned into ricotta. It was hilarious! I didn't figure it out until the next day when I reached for the buttermilk and discovered it was gone. Duh! Oh, well, we had MRE hot chocolate instead. Watched Santa's progress for a bit on the Internet, sent the kids to bed and wrapped their presents. A wonderful Christmas Eve!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Those kind of activities, events and traditions are what follow our children into their own later. The memories can be taken out and toyed with long afterwards. I used to make "hot buttereds" my kids called them. Now that I don't do rum myself, I do the hot buttereds too...sans milk, buttermilk or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

That view looks breathtaking! I don't particularly like "sliding" in the car either, but for that view it might be worth it! Now for us city folk...taking a drive for some target practice would be unusual, just seems to naturally fit with your family!! Those little violins are so cute.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Cat,
Yes, these are good with or without the rum. I like that name, "hot buttereds". I think I'll steal it :)

Kimberly,
I'm still debating on if the view was worth it or not, LOL!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Hot buttered buttermilk? Yuck! Hailey makes one cute fiddlin' fairy!

Love the view, but I would have been scared out my boots. I hate sliding. It gives me flashbacks when we were with Mom that time on the backroads behind Mosier.

christy rose said...

Hailey is the cutest fiddlin' fairy I have ever since! :)
I love having Christmas traditions too. But, sometimes they just do not work out and then they become fun Christmas unintentional memories! LOL

Camille said...

I love the picture of your little girl holding her ears in the shooting photo. So cute with the 1/8 violin too! How beautiful your view was coming down that big hill...thankfully you took a picture so you could enjoy it after you were safely down! :)

Have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Camille

RaD said...

Sliding down the hill, yikes! It was a nice view but I probably would have been climbing out of my seat. I hate coming off the mountains in bad weather.

That's too funny that you mixed up the milk, I could see how you would get confused!

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Oooh, hot buttered cheese curds. Made your grandpa and I both laugh!!

Love to all, see you come New Year's Eve.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Stacie,
Yes, the hot buttered ricotta was disgusting. I had to try a bite just for the heck of it. It truly was cheese.

Also, yes, I was totally having flashbacks of our adventure with Mom while sliding down that hill. I was absolutely terrified. This view is not of the steep part.

momstheword said...

That would be nerve wracking! Glad I wasn't driving..... Cute picture and love the Fairy dress!

Deb said...

So many memories!! We love to shoot and have target practice with our guns as well and our kids have been doing target practice as well since their dad had to help them even hold the gun up!! Fun times!!
Blessings!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Where did you get such an adorable little fiddle?

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

We actually borrowed the fiddle from a friend. It really does play, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails