Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Family Fun/Starlight Parade/Washing Machine Magic

On Friday, I avoided the Black Friday rush. Thanks to Dave Ramsey's budget plan that we recently started, we already had most of our Christmas gifts purchases or budgeted for. I'm thinking this is going to be the most relaxing Christmas season yet! We've decided on getting our kids only three gifts a piece (that's how many the wise men gave Jesus), including stockings. Anyway, so here is a picture of Hailey and Jacob. They got along great this time. You can see Hailey's stitches pretty good here.

That evening we met up with our families again at the annual Starlight Parade. The kids had a great time, although the boys were far too rowdy. We had to keep reining them in. They get so excited when they see each other. Here is a picture of my handsome hubby with Hailey and his mom, Kay. I think Michael and Kay sure look alike, don't you?

Santa's picture didn't turn out very well. I wish I would have gotten a good picture of the nativity float that the Salvation Army put together. It was awesome! Way to go Choinard Clan!

We stayed that night in Hood River with my in-laws. We had a wonderful relaxing time with them. Kay did a simple craft with the kids that they just loved (I love grandmas!), Michael helped his step-dad put in a new wood stove, and I ran tech support for Michael's mom and sister with some things they wanted to do on the computer. It felt like a really productive, yet relaxing weekend. Usually, we're running around crazy, but when you don't have money to blow, it keeps you at home more. I think it might have been the best Thanksgiving Weekend ever!

On a side note, I just have to brag on my handy-dandy husband for a sec. On Monday, I was doing laundry and was on my last load when our washing machine stopped working. We called the repair shop and told them what was it was doing and they said it sounded like the motor or transmission when out. Not good! Well, Michael decided to do some digging and I'm so glad he did. He completely tore the washing machine apart to get to the motor/transmission, and in the process he pulled the water pump off. He discovered one of Hailey's socks had somehow gotten sucked into it and was jamming the water pump, therefore the motor was not able to turn. He pulled the sock out piece by piece, put the washing machine back together and it ran like a top, PTL! I told him maybe he missed his calling and should have been a washing machine repair man. Even after 14 years of marriage, my man still can amaze me!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

christy rose said...

No black friday shopping for me this year either. I avoid it completely.

I bet your kids just loved the light parade. we have one around here too every year the evening after Thanksgiving. It is a big deal for our community. Hailey looks so cute, even with her stitches.

Isn't is great when our husbands use the knowledge that the Lord blessed them with along with their muscles and can figure out things such as washing machine struggles without help from anyone other than the Lord Himself. My husband has managed to repair ours several times too. I think now that he can fix anything. No calling repair mans for me at all!! :)

Anonymous said...

No Black Friday for us either, an "on sale" thing-a-ma-jig for half a wad of cash is still more than I have to dpend, on all my shopping!! Dave Ramsey method is amazing, it couldn't have come at a better time for us. We've done the three gift thing for a while, it just has been such a great testimony for our children. We've been married 14 years too!

My Hubby is not handy-dandy with machines and such - he's gifted in many other areas, just not machines. The landlord opted for a dryer repair guy, two parts and over $200 later the dryer is now working again. (the washer/dryer came with the house). It needed a thermosat and thermal fuse, really small parts and the guy was in and out in a half hour. Even though I'm guessing that your Hubby took much longer than that to fix your washer... what a blessing!

Catherine said...

Isn't it wonderful, peaceful and fulfilling when we stay home with family and enjoy each other's talents and presence???? Many that I know skipped the Friday shopping trip. It sounds like you were blessed beyond measure...and got your washer fixed too!

Jen said...

We do not do Black Friday either. My husband and I have never been to one. The thought of the crowds pushing and shoving just give me the hibbie jibbies.

I am so glad you enjoyed the time with your family. I love light parades. Your kids must have had a blast.

Blessings,
JEN

Unknown said...

PRAISE THE LORD for handy hubby's!!! :) I have my own handy man!! Black Friday scares me, frankly! :P

We do a similar thing with our kids gifts! 3 each & a stocking! :)

Many blessings!
Amy

Camille said...

Isn't it wonderful when something potentially very costly turns out to be something that can be fixed for free?? Gotta love that!!

Blessings,
Camille

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Way to go, Michael!

I hate Black Friday as well. No thank you! I'd rather hang out my awesome sister who loves me!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Right back attcha, Sis!

momstheword said...

Looks like that was a fun parade. I popped over from your sister's blog and wow, you look alike (bet you hear that alot)! I always wanted to have twins but the Lord never blessed me with them. But that's o.k!

I homeschool too. My oldest is now in college (I homeschooled him all the way through) and my youngest is in 11th grade.

So I have another year of homeschooling left. I've been doing it for so long I think I'll be lost without it, lol!

RaD said...

I actually ventured out to try black Friday shopping and came home with nothing! What a waste of 3 hours. I don't understand all the hype. I guess if I were looking for or wanting or needing the things on sale then that would be great. But since I saw that most things were just on a "normal" sale I wasn't about to stand in the long lines. So I came home on Friday and spent $54.00 at CBD on ten different items and wished that I had just stayed home and shopped from my computer instead.

That being said, Yay Michael! You're such a blessing to your family.

Connie said...

I don't do black Friday either. I would have to stand in an hour line just to get in the door, then an hour line to pay.

We do have some great husbands. Mine is just like that - I look at something and do not know how to take it apart. (I'm getting better - LOL)

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

That's awesome that your husband could fix it for you. Your hero!

Between my husband and his brother I have no worries if anything goes wrong around here. They can usually fix it or know someone who can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails