Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cowboy Caviar Recipe


I'm not a big salsa fan, but I loved this! It was like a really hearty salsa but it can be used for on so many things. This recipe made quite a bit. The first day I simply served it with tortilla chips. For breakfast the next day, I served it on top of scrambled eggs with cheese. The next day I had enough leftovers to make taco salads. The kids loved it, too and it was super easy to make.

Cowboy Caviar Recipe:
2 cups black-eyed peas (I used pre-cooked beans from my freezer, thawed of course, can use canned)
2 cups black beans
2 cups sweet corn (canned or I preferred thawed out frozen corn)
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 avacados, chopped
2/3 c sliced green onions
2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 to 4 Tbl red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce (more if you want it spicier)
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)

In medium bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Serve with tortilla chips if you'd like. Yummy to eat by itself or on a salad.

9 comments:

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

AHHHAAA!!! That's what the neighbor lady left us a quart jar of, Cowboy Caviar. I was at work and Fay kept telling me she'd left us a jar of corn chowder, he and I'd been talking about corn chowder and he'd said he'd try it come winter if I made it good and thick. Sure didn't look like any corn chowder I'd ever met.

Thank you!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I love how you set up the picture! Good job. I like everything but the tomatoes and the avocado. I don't know how good it would be with out it though.

Jenn said...

Yum! I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely delicious!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Stacie,

I know you don't like fresh tomatoes or avacados, but you could omit those and throw some salsa in.

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

A friend of ours brought this to our house over the 4th. It was a big hit. Must be a new popular recipe. I'm so jealous that your kids ate it mine wouldn't touch it.

Phyllis said...

Jackie, thanks for sharing the recipe. Diana and Russ' party was the first time I had ever had it. Now, I'm looking forward to making it frequently.

Tina said...

Great recipe. I've never made it, but everywhere I've been where it was served, it was a hit!
Thanks for the recipe. Guess I'll have to break out of my box and make some. :)

Connie said...

The ingredients look like a super combo. Should be easy to make.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails