Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe

Let me first say, there aren't too many chocolate cakes out there that I like, but this one is so moist, rich but not too sweet, that it really tantalizes the taste buds. I got this recipe out of my MOPS cookbook and just changed it around to make it even more healthy. This is super simple, especially if you already have ground up or grated zucchini and apple sauce on hand or in your freezer. 

Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe:

1 & 3/4 cup of sucanat (instead of refined white sugar)
1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
2 eggs
1 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 & 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt (I use Celtic Sea Salt)
1/2 cup buttermilk (regular milk works fine, too)
2 cups grated, or ground zucchini
1 cup organic chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Kitchen Aid, mix together all ingredients except the chocolate chips and pecans. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and cook for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans and cook another 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool a bit and enjoy! 

17 comments:

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

That looks so yummy. Gonna fool with it next week when I have time to cook again.

Mary said...

That looks great! May I copy it?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Oh I can't wait till I can eat nuts! That looks delicious!

Leslie said...

Oh, that looks delicious! I think I'll give it a try for dessert tonight. :)

RaD said...

Mmmm... That sounds a lot like my mom's chocolate zuccini bread recipe. It's sooo good. But for breakfast?

Leslie said...

I used your recipe for dessert tonight, and it was a big hit. Very delicious and moist. Thanks for sharing!

Catherine said...

Why can't Stacie eat nuts? I think I'll make this recipe very soon. We won't have it for b'fast because we're very picky about that, but it is still a tasty-sounding dessert!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Mary,
Sure, you can copy it.

Leslie,
So glad you liked it!

Catherine,
Stacie can't eat nuts because they contribute to tonsil stones. As soon as she has her tonsils removed, she be able to eat nuts again, yeah! She and I both love nuts.

Breakfast Skeptics,
It really does work for breakfast because it isn't too sweet. As you can see by the ingredients, they are healthy. Lots of fiber and fruits and veggies :)

Amy said...

That looks really good. A good way to get extra veggies in!!

Connie said...

I quit making Zucchini Cake because of all the oil in it. This sounds better - can't wait to try.

Sarah said...

Mmmm...this looks so delicious Jackie! I love that you also ate it for breakfast!

Lisa said...

I can so totally do chocolate cake for breakfast! YUM!!!

Unknown said...

This sounds DELISH! :)

christy rose said...

Oh I will definitely try this!!!

AmyOh! said...

Wow, just made these using Trader Joe's organic coconut oil instead of butter. Really amazing recipe. I also made cupcakes and the cooking time was exactly 20 minutes.

Unknown said...

Jackie, this sounds delicious...yum-yum! : )

Anonymous said...

Great Site

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails