Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Meandering

Thought I'd blog a bit about my busy weekend. On Friday and Saturday, I had the privilege of going to my first MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Leadership Summit. It was super fun. This is a picture of the eight of us in leadership who were able to go this year. In fact, it is a blog post on its own. So, stay tuned... While I was away at MOPS, Michael recovered enough from the flu bug to go hunting on Saturday. The only thing he bagged was a three-wheeler and its drunk 21-year old rider. Michael was going around a blind corner and this guy (who wasn't wearing a helmet) came at him going fast and completely out of control. PTL, Michael was able to bring the truck to a complete stop before the three-wheeler and it's rider hit smack dab into the corner of the pick-up. If Michael had been moving, the guy would probably be dead or hurt very badly. As it was, he came away from the accident with only bruises, scrapes and a concussion. Michael and his friend, suspected that the kid had been drinking, along with the rest of his buddies who where following him. Sure enough, the kid, his father (who drove him to the hospital) and another friend who followed, all got DUIs. We can't drive our truck because we don't have lights on that side. We are waiting on the insurance company to let us know who is going to pay for the repairs. In the meantime, Michael is riding the Harley to work so I can have the Subaru to take Josiah to his swim lessons. Very annoying!!! So glad the kid is not seriously hurt, but at the same time, I'm very angry at his stupidity and how it is inconveniencing us. URRGGHHH! So glad that at least he and some of his buddies got busted with a DUI.Sunday, when I got home, I planted some strawberries that my mom gave me in our garden. Michael said he is going to make me a strawberry box around them. Our radishes and turnips are coming up! It is nice to experience a success. Hope they stay healthy and alive!Michael worked on raking and re-seeding the backyard.I helped our elderly neighbors dig up a rhubarb plant. They gave me four chunks of the root to start my own rhubarb in my garden, plus enough rhubarb stalks to last me the year. I think I got two dozen cups of rhubarb frozen. I slice them in my Cuisnart food processor and freeze them in two cup increments. Great in my Any-Fruit Crisp recipe.Josiah and Hailey were having a picnic today in their fort and were sitting with their arms around each other. They started begging me to take a picture of them, so how could I refuse? They truly are best friends. Hope it stays that way. Even though they bicker sometimes, they love each other fiercely. 

Thanks to each of you who prayed I wouldn't get the flu. I seemed to be the only one to escape in our household. Even my mom and step-dad got it when they watched the kids for me this weekend. Luckily it was fast moving.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I look forward to catching up with your blogs this week.

God Bless,
Jackie

16 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Hi Jackie!
So glad your husband has a good head on his shoulders and was able to slow the truck down!!!! And that he was not hurt either!
The kid. Oh my. His own father was drinking and drunk as well??????? Nice role model!
I hope the kid realizes how darn lucky he was... frightening...

christy rose said...

Wow! You had a full weekend! I am so glad that your husband was able to stop in time. My goodness that is so scary to think about! Glad to hear that you did not get the flu and that your family is back to health again. :)

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I had a good weekend and what I call a disjointed Monday but it was good. Glad nobody was too hurt in the accident. Inconvenience, indeed. Will be praying!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I am still amazed that the kids is alive! He must have a hard head!

What is a strawberry box?

I'm not a rhubarb fan, but I know you are, so cool about the plant. They are just too darn big for me!

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Just remember, every fall, after the leaves lay down on the rhubarb: one wheel barrow load of manure. Any animal, fresh or rotted. My granny's method and does it ever put the size on the rhubarb plant.

Sarah said...

Oh Jackie, I'm so thankful that no-one was hurt in the accident! I bet your husband got a terrible fright!

Love the photograph of Josiah and Hailey! They look so sweet!

Amy said...

Thank God no one was hurt. Lots of prayers for a child that has a drinking buddy for a father. God help us.

That picture of your kids is so cute.

Found a different type of laundry soap at the 99 cent store. Seems like it has the same ingredients as Zote. Comes in pink, white, and citrus. The name is Spanish, but it means soap. I will have to try them the next time. I use mine for a stain remover.

Have a wonderful day.

Catherine said...

What a blessing Michael was aware as a drive and helped the kid not kill himself! You kids are darling! And the experience of leadership is awesome in MOPS. Good job, girl!

RaD said...

Hopefully that kid learns a valuable lesson about drinking and driving.

And that's a cute picture of your two little red heads!

Rachel and Family said...

Wow! So glad Michael is okay! Crazy drunk drivers. A good story to tell when your kiddos get older.

That is the BEST that J & H love each so much!

Lucky bummer on the rhubarb.

I'm looking forward to the MOPS post.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Stacie,
Michael is going to make kind of a box for me out in the garden to keep the strawberries contained. We'll use untreated wood.

Love you!

He & Me + 3 said...

So glad you didn't get the flu. I want to be a part of Mops. It always sounds so fun. Glad you got to go.
Yum to Rhubarb.

home making said...

I enjoyed looking at your blog, You have a beautiful little family.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm so glad no one was seriously hurt in the accident. It could of been so much worse.

Woohoo...for no flu!!!

The rhubarb looks amazing and my goodness girl, your gonna have some strawberry patch!

Ya'll have a wonderfully blessed Wednesday!!!

tamy said...

to bad people don't have more sense than to drive drunk

Unknown said...

you all look wonderful! great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails