Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Healthy Basic Condensed Soup Recipe

I've been making my own homemade condensed soup for awhile now. It is easy to make a big batch and freeze in pint jars or simply whip up a batch for a recipe on the spot. I'm so glad I can still have my tasty (and inexpensive) casseroles and not spend a fortune on "healthy" condensed soups. I've found several recipes on different blogs, but I always found them too plain. So if you like lots of flavor, read on! BTW, this can easily be made gluten-free by using arrowroot or tapioca flour (may have to adjust amount to get the right consistency), and dairy-free by adding broth instead of milk and olive or coconut oil instead of butter.

Healthy Basic Condensed Soup Recipe:

3 Tbl butter
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp chicken or beef bouillon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/4 cups milk, water or broth

Melt butter, add flour and stir, making a light roux. Then add liquid and seasonings. Heat and stir until it thickens. 

Variations:
For Cream of Mushroom or Celery: saute 1/4 cup in the butter before adding the flour

For Cream of Chicken: use mostly broth instead of milk for the liquid

For Cream of Tomato: Use tomato juice instead of milk and add a 1/2 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp oregano

For Cheese Soup: After adding the liquid, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and stir

6 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thanks, Jackie! I'm going to try to make it today if all goes well. Andrew and Jess can't wait to taste it!

Rachel and Family said...

Perfect! I've been looking for something like this. I've made my own with powdered milk before, but this tops it.
Thank you!

Rachel and Family said...

I'm making the ginger snaps today too, now that the cookie jar is empty. Those look so good!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing.

I named my homeschool today. Pop over to my blog to see what it is.

God Bless!

Camille said...

What a great idea to make a batch and freeze in the correct sized portions! I find myself resorting to those dreadful cans when *quickness* is what I am after...freezing would solve that problem! Thanks for sharing your great ideas and recipes...you are a blessing. :)

Love,
Camille

Anonymous said...

TY so very much for sharing this--!
Blessings,
Aimee

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails