Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"He Led Them By a Straight Way..." - Our Little Homestead

God gave me this verse 18 months ago the day we decided to move. It is a little faded and worse for wear, but it made it through the move. Even though it took us longer than I thought for this verse to be fulfilled - God DID lead us by a straight way. All the hard work of moving has been worth it as we are beginning to settle into our little 3.32 acre homestead and 1970s vintage-retro double-wide. Praising God the truck decided to break down AFTER our move instead of during. Michael has since fixed it, despite the super cold weather and no shop/garage to work in yet. A huge thank you to all the people who helped us in one way or another during our transition time. We are missing everyone in our old town, but are truly enjoying being nearer to my mom and step-dad and looking forward to reconnecting with the old friends we have in this town.
 This is from the far corner of our property which goes all the way to the road. Josiah has been having a blast 4-wheeling around the property. The stakes marks out where Michael is going to have the 30x40 shop of his dreams built.


Lower pasture. Perfect for a few meat animals.
From the beginning of our driveway looking up the gently sloping hill. The Oregon Trail used to run on the shelf right behind our property. For a history buff, that is a definite plus!
For the first time, I decided to let the kids do most of the decorating. One thing about living in an old trailer is that it is very kid-friendly. I think the carpet says it all.
We decided not to replace the carpets, but had it professionally cleaned instead because there isn't any reason to put any money into this old trailer. It is in pretty good shape and should last us until we can build a house. We plan on putting a wood stove back in where the old hearth is. 
We got our Jesse/Waiting Trees up. The kitchen isn't too bad in size, just a lot less storage and counter space than I had in my old house. Still trying to squeeze it all in.
 Love the old entertainment center we turned into a bookshelf and the hanging light I found for the homeschool room this weekend. It is so awesome having a separate room for homeschooling! I put on kid in here and one kid at the dining room table. I'm getting a lot more exercise, but it is worth it to have them not distracting each other.
So much for homeschooling on this day! Champ loves to chase snowballs. Like many of you, we've been getting very cold weather and some snow. We're learning the quirks of the place in extreme cold weather.
As my step-mom says, the best thing to fill your house with is "Love". My bible study ladies gave me this as a parting gift. They are also giving me "Faith, Hope and Courage" signs, all the letters were photographed in nature by my friend's SIL. I will treasure these signs always. Miss my bible study gals so much!
Parting Shot: The best way to study your McGuffy Reader. Another reason we love homeschooling - you can take your dog to school and not get in trouble.

We are settling in nicely and have even connected with the homeschool group here in Pendleton this week. The kids had a great time at their new AWANA club and we've been doing a bible study with some friends. We're are praying about the church we will attend and will begin our search this week. It is great to have a schedule again get back to a new kind of normal. 

I look forward to catching up on all your blogs for those who've left comments for me. Have a wonderful week!

God Bless,
Jackie

9 comments:

Nadine said...

Congratulations on your new home! Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Nadine

aimee said...

So happy to hear you are now home where you have a place to make some of your dreams come true!
LOL--my pioneer forefathers went right by your place:) I LOVE history too!
Advent Blessings,
Aimee

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Good to hear from you again. Loved Josiah reading the Mcguffy reader. We had that as well. And a nice dog pillow. Loved your photos. Hope all continues to go well. Praying for you as you adjust and find a good Bible teaching church. Hugs!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Great post Jackie. Can't wait to see it in person!

The Summerfields said...

Great blog! I look forward to exploring more on your blog, I've read a few posts and I love how much we have in common. If you want you can check out my rather neglected blog. I don't post as often as I want to, I really need to get some posts caught up.;) Anyway I pray for blessings over your homestead adventures! Julie

The Summerfields said...

Sorry, forgot to post my blog link. lol http://thoughtsfromjules.blogspot.com/

Rachel and Family said...

What a wonderfully warm and cozy home! I got your email Christmas letter and am so excited for your new adventure! Homesteading in a greater capacity like this is such a meaningful way to live. Can't wait to see the stick built house. Micheal can sure do it, especially with your little man helping. My grandpa built a house for his family with his own two hands and raised 5 children in it back in Pennsylvania. Blessings Jackie :)

Rachel and Family said...

Oh! I missed the part about the Oregon Trail! So cool! I would be staring at it all day and imagining. I'm going to stare at the picture some more, lol!

Anonymous said...

You're getting closer to me! :) Only an hour and 15 minutes now. lol! ~Tamra

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails