Sunday, October 5, 2008

Melinda's Homemade Maple Syrup Recipe

Have you seen the price of real maple syrup lately? Unbelievable! I had to find another alternative and my friend gave me this recipe. I usually quadruple this recipe because my motto is: if you are going to make something from scratch, make a lot of it! I freeze the excess. This will save you a lot of money. I use this homemade maple syrup in all my ice creams. When you use sucanat, it can separate and get hard in the bottom of the jar. If this happens, warm the jar up in a small pan of water on the stove and it will pour out of the jar again.

Hi Jackie,
Here is the recipe for syrup:

Pour: 1 cup boiling water
Over: 2 cups sugar (sucanat)
Add: 1/2 maple flavoring and 1/2 tsp vanilla (you could use more or less of these depending on your taste, also OMIT MAPLE FLAVORING IF GOING TO BE USING IN ICE CREAM, unless you're making maple nut :)

Just play around with it until you find the flavor and consistency you like. We just let ours cool on the counter and then store it in the fridge in a glass jar. I just bought some maple flavoring from natures pantry yesterday and it cost like $4.50 or so. Hopefully it can save a little money.
Take care,
Melinda

2 comments:

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Thanks for this recipe, I am going to try it!

L. Vilneff said...

for a closer to the real deal syrup... use either your 1 cup measure of BROWN SUGAR instead.
OR
Make with 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar

I only use 2 cups brown sugar, plus a bit of maple flavoring and it tastes incredibly close to the real thing

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails