Monday, June 21, 2010

Family Reunion Fun

Oh, boy, did we have fun this weekend when we got together with my husband's deceased dad's side of the family. Even though I married into the family, they've always made me feel very welcome and loved. There were about 75 people in attendence. My favorite part of the reunion was meeting the new baby of the family, my great-niece, Megyn. She's so cute! Very petite. Hailey couldn't stop kissing her. She goes crazy over babies.There were lots of pictures to look through. This is Michael's mom and brother Nathan looking at the pictures. Nathan is really into archiving the family pictures and knows the Whitesell family history very well. For me, it is a like a giant puzzle, trying to figure out their very complicated family tree. I'm gettin' it though! It has only taken me 20 years. It was great to put faces to names.The thing I love about this family is that they are so incredibly welcoming of friends who become "adopted family members". Michael's best friend, Tim, and his family, are one of those adopted family members. He and Michael rode bulls together in high school. Tim came and cooked up a storm for us. His bbq'd ribs are to die for!This is a really bad picture of all of Michael's surviving siblings and their spouses. We should have had everyone take their hats and sunglasses off. The only one who is missing is his older sister, Linda, who died about 16 years ago of a massive brain hemorrhage. Very sad.Hailey didn't get to bed until midnight the night before because all the cousins where sleeping in one room and of course they had to talk and play half the night. She would sit in this chair to recharge her batteries and then she was off playing with all her new-found cousins.After the reunion, several family members came back to Michael's mom's house and we ate leftovers and sat around a bonfire, chatting and cutting up. This was my favorite part of the day. Here are two of Michael's nieces and one of his aunts.Michael's brother and his family live in Texas, so this was the first time they got to meet Hailey. She took to Uncle Nathan right off, and he to her. I wish I would have taken a picture of their girls. I love my nieces dearly and I can't wait to see them again.Josiah is the only grandchild carrying on the family name from Michael's dad's direct lineage. I think there may be some redheads in this family's future, hee, hee!  

12 comments:

RaD said...

Wow! What a special time! I'd love to know a little more about the family history, unfortunately I only know as far back as my own grandparents. When my grandma passed there was a family fued on someone (I won't mention who even though you don't know them, it's just better that way) took all the pictures and family history books and will not share them. So sad.

I'll be sending an e-mail soon regarding your last comment :)

Chris@Joyful Mother said...

Hey Stacie's twin...sorry I haven't visited in awhile. I am going to add you blog to my main list so I remember to visit each time you post.

Anyway, looks like you had lots of fun! Isn't it fun to be with family? :) Especially reunions...

Andrea said...

Beautiful family, my dear! You are truly blessed.
Hugs,
andrea

Connie said...

So glad you had such a wonderful time and that the family relates well. It is good to hear of a family which gets along well. Many you have many more fun reunions.

Catherine said...

Wonderful memories were built for your children, Jackie! A great legacy is being passed on, one that creates the atmosphere of being together and sharing.

Camille said...

Hi Jackie ~

How fun that you got together with all those relatives! It is a special time, that's for sure. :)

My brother's name is Nathan...how cool is that? :)

Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Camille

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Those Whitesells sure look like each other! Hailey looks so cute with her Uncle Nathan.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Jackie- Send me an email winner! with your mailing info!!!

homeschoolingahandful@gmail.com

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

That's great that you can get together with family and feel very loved!

God Bless You Jackie!

OurLilFullFam said...

Looks like a great time!

Stephanie

Sarah said...

Wow...that sure looked to be a great time! The photograph of beautiful little Hailey with her uncle is just so sweet!

I love family reunions too...my family-in-law had one three years ago, which was fantastic as it reunited all 11 of my husbands siblings, their spouses and children. We were so glad to do it, as the following year my father-in-law and brother-in-law both passed away.

God Bless

He & Me + 3 said...

Family reunions are the best. So glad you had a nice time. Love all the pictures. What great memories. Love the red hair:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails